What do I do if I need to terminate a tenancy?

If you decide that it is time to part company with your tenant and can’t reach an agreement, there are several steps that must be followed. First is to formally end the tenancy. For tenants with leases, you need to carefully review the lease to determine what notice and under what conditions the tenancy can be terminated. A written notice of termination must be properly delivered. If there is a written tenancy at will agreement, that agreement must also be consulted. Where no written agreement exists, a landlord must give 14-days written notice to tenants who are being evicted for failing to pay rent and at least 30 days for others. Once a tenancy is properly ended, tenants who remain at the property must be evicted through court proceedings.

With law offices in Framingham, MA and Milford, MA our real estate lawyers provide legal services to individuals, families and businesses throughout the Boston metro west and Worcester county region including Ashland, Dedham, Framingham, Franklin, Hopkinton, Maynard, Marlborough, Milford, Natick, Needham, Newton, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, Waltham, and Worcester, Massachusetts.

Categories: Landlord / Tenant Questions and Legal Questions & Answers.