How do I go about filing for a divorce if I have no contact with my husband?

Additional Information:

I separated from husband in 2008 & moved to Charlestown, MA from NY. How can I get divorce if we have no contact? We did not have any children from marriage but I do have a ten year old from previous. We parted in ill terms & I have no way of contacting this man as I do not know where he moved to after I left. How hard is it to get a divorce in the State of Mass?


You will need to file a Complaint for Divorce in the county in which you reside (Suffolk County).  If you do not know where you husband resides, you will have to give notice of the action by publication (via the newspaper).  The divorce department at the courthouse will give you the forms you need to complete, and assist you with the publication process.  The divorce process will proceed with or without your Husband’s cooperation.

With law offices in Framingham, MA and Milford, MA our lawyers provide legal services throughout the Boston metro west and Worcester county region including Ashland, Dedham, Framingham, Franklin, Hopkinton, Maynard, Marlborough, Milford, Natick, Needham, Newton, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, Waltham, and Worcester, Massachusetts.

Categories: Divorce Questions and Legal Questions & Answers.